« Home | Batman and Zatanna team up » | Marvel Universe changes, and changes, and changes ... » | Frank Miller is on the adaptation of The Spirit » | If this is how Captain America's book will be in t... » | Brad Meltzer's "Book of Fate": NOT the first book ... » | Why is Mark Waid doing this now? » | Comic artistry to relieve stress » | More dissections of dishonesty » | Punisher War Journal #6 is vulgarly written open b... » | Spartanburg newspaper sugarcoats 52 » 

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 

You can't try to please everybody if you're to succeed

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." -- Bill Cosby

Cos said it right when he made that point years ago, that you cannot try to please everybody if you're to find success. You just have to know what the right crowd is to please.

I found a commentor on this topic at The Beat blog who pointed out that, "part of comics’ whole problem stems from this desire to force books and characters to appeal to everybody..." And that sums up a point even I once tried to make about how one of the big mistakes DC is making is that it's going out of its way to try and please not just everybody, but anybody, by forcibly adding minority group members at the expense of everycharacters. But even if they didn't do it that way, it doesn't mean that minorities are asking for them to, and I'm certainly not. And even if DC hadn't done it all at the expense of their everypersons, another problem is that they're being very superficial in their POV of what minorities are: they're introducing members of races we're already familiar with (black, Latino, Asian), yet they don't even think to come up with characters who're members of nationalities. How many clearly defined characters are there in comics of Armenian, Estonian, Cameroonian, Chilean, and Danish backgrounds are there who're regular cast members in any major comic book or universe today? Even I can't think, and don't know, of any.

So really, what are DC and their defenders trying to prove anyway?

The topic, by the way, is about this argument that came up about the Mary Jane statuette Adam Hughes designed where she's doing Peter Parker's laundry. I really don't have anything to say, because it has been overdone, except one little thing better: of course the NY Post would rather talk about that than about misogyny in comics that involves violence. Where were they when Sue Dibny was violated by Dr. Light, Jean Loring was villified, and Spoiler was bashed up by Black Mask? The NY Post used to be a fairly decent newspaper years ago, now, it's just a tabloid, as is the NY Daily News.

When I see the NY Post doing a story on controversies that arise over gratuitous violence in comics, then I can credit them. But this was really just a waste of space for them, and us.

Update: Ragnell thinks it's been overdone too.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.