« Home | A perfect excuse to rip people off » | Frank Miller talks about directing the Spirit adap... » | Old Marvel classics go online » | "Shooting War" may be anti-war » | The revolting abuse of a once-great art form » | Hmm, maybe it's a good thing I didn't read "Planet... » | Jim Starlin: I think it's past his bedtime » | Comic Book Carnival Number Fourteen » | I wonder if Vertigo is destined to go the way of M... » | Superman's history in showbiz » 

Friday, November 16, 2007 

Comic strip panels that were doctored in translation for anti-war propaganda

I made an interesting discovery a while ago when I read this entry on Comics Should be Good from last June in which a comics reader from Israel sent the following page he'd found on a site belonging to one of the comics stores I've often visited in Tel Aviv where the left-wing organization Peace Now took an episode of a comic strip called Crash Christian, published by National Lampoon in the early 1970s, and changed the dialogue for the purpose of anti-war bias. The doctored dialogue reads like this:
Headline: "The Adventures of B., The Pondering Pilot"

Panel 1 - "In this war [1982's Lebanon War, i.e.] the IDF proves once again that Israel is safe and strong. In this war we are losing brothers, sons, friends."

"Scream" balloon says: "A continuing story"

Panel 2 - "In this war thousands are being extracted from their homes and whole cities are ruined. In this war being killed thousands of... Citizens!"

Panel 3 - "Such war never been before in the history of Israel. For what are they being killed? For what they kill? Have [we] accepted as a nation to go to this war? Was are [our] existence at a critical juncture? Will this war break the circle of violence, suffering and hatred?"

Panel 4 - "We say to the Government of Israel:"

Panel 5 - "STOP!"

SFX: "BOOM!"

Caption box: "After the bombing B. hurries to the Peace Now ["Shalom Achshav", the organization producing this strip] demonstration"

Panel 6 - "Now is the time to call the Palestinians to make a peace negotiation. Now is the time to establish peace based on a mutual recognition!"
Boy, this is pure disgust, and it figures that an awful leftist outfit like Peace Now would do such a thing. Exploiting a simple comic strip from years before for the sake of worthless political tommyrot! National Lampoon should sue.

Labels: ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.