« Home | A soldier and not a superhero? » | Tacoma News Tribune fawns over Brian Michael Bendis » | The comic that caused an overreaction from within » | Happy Thanksgiving » | If DC parted with Time Warner, would that be a goo... » | Sometimes, change can be too much, and meaningless » | The Mid-Ohio Convention » | Will Eisner's Life in Pictures » | Why didn't I think of that before? A little more o... » | More on the Skrulls » 

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 

Who is he to address this issue?

The Newsarama contributor Troy Brownfield, who may a professor, wrote about the possible return of Spoiler. First, here's what he says at the end:
Stephanie Brown was an admittedly minor character, but one that nonetheless touched a chord with many fans. If she does return, one wonders if it would undermine her significance as a rallying point. If it’s a new character in the Spoiler outfit, she’d do well to watch her back, be skeptical of Dark Knight promises, and find a good doctor.
Is that supposed to be sensationalism he's spouting there? Why should it undermine her significance?

But that aside, here's why Brownfield is, in my opinion, not one fit to address this whole subject of Spoiler. I recalled a little something that he did two years ago, when he said, without even providing any in depth research to prove it:
Regardless of what some people think, Loring has been played as a villain repeatedly in the past, so someone positioning her to receive the black diamond isn’t a crazy idea.
I've spoken about this countless times before, I'll say it again: no. she. was. not. And Brownfield certainly doesn't provide anything beyond that boldfaced line to prove his point. Pathetic. I wonder, is this what he's talking about, the story that took place in The Atom #11? Because according to the synopsis:
Ray Palmer, on an ocean voyage, is forced to walk the plank by a woman who appears to be his fiancee, Jean Loring. As the Atom, he discovers that Jean and the rest of the crew and passengers have been replaced and imitated by invaders from another dimension.
So with that now learned, shouldn't that really be played BY a villain? Where does he get off distorting the facts?

Brownfield doesn't do much to prove that he understands what was wrong with how a teen girl was brutally offed, and that he's willing to uphold the equally brutal demonization of a grownup girl as well, if he still does, just undermines his credibility in my mind.

I wonder what Gardner Fox would say if he saw this?

Update: Brownfield even defended Identity Crisis too 3 years ago (via Precocious Curmudgeon). One more reason why I find I don't see how he's fit to speak on this issue.

Labels: , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.