« Home | More on the Skrulls » | Two delayed miniseries from DC raise two good ques... » | Comic strip panels that were doctored in translati... » | A perfect excuse to rip people off » | Frank Miller talks about directing the Spirit adap... » | Old Marvel classics go online » | "Shooting War" may be anti-war » | The revolting abuse of a once-great art form » | Hmm, maybe it's a good thing I didn't read "Planet... » | Jim Starlin: I think it's past his bedtime » 

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 

Why didn't I think of that before? A little more observation on bait-and-switch gimmicks

The Savage Critics feels that Gail Simone's recent work has taken a turn for the worst, and it may well have, but at the same time, it led me to thinking:

Regarding the All-New Atom, and also the new Blue Beetle, and even the new (but now cancelled) Firestorm, did it ever occur to anyone that they could be bait-and-switch tactics?

I'd never really thought of that as a way to describe them before, but I guess I'll have to thank those who did for bringing that up. And as someone who's become less inclined of recent to pardon most of the writers dealing with these things in near-lock-step with the editors, I can't say I'm happy with what they're doing, but also, I don't see how the story's being well written excuses the possibilities that these all reek of bait-and-switch.

What does this mean? That IMO, those who said they found Identity Crisis terrible, yet embraced the changes made in its wake with new protagonists replacing their earlier counterparts, are making themselves look absurd.

Good writing is certainly a vital feature in many forms of entertainment, but it still doesn't excuse prior misuse of good characters that's been left that way, nor if it's being used as a fig-leaf for bait-and-switch gimmicks. As an example of that, we have Green Lantern when Kyle Rayner was the star, and Ron Marz the writer. While there may have been as many good stories as there were bad ones, it still does not excuse the fact that a great guy like Hal Jordan was sent down while being disgraced and villified, something I'm not even sure has been fully fixed even now. So if I didn't ever buy much of it, let alone read it, I figure by now I was doing the right thing. Because bad edicts cannot be rewarded no matter how good the writing that comes afterwards.

Labels: , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.