« Home | Soon, DC may not have sales going above 100,000 » | Dixon talks about his new work on the Outsiders » | Maybe if today's youngsters were introduced to the... » | A Jason Todd publicity stunt, and a clear picture ... » | Who is he to address this issue? » | A soldier and not a superhero? » | Tacoma News Tribune fawns over Brian Michael Bendis » | The comic that caused an overreaction from within » | Happy Thanksgiving » | If DC parted with Time Warner, would that be a goo... » 

Monday, December 03, 2007 

Coffee table books may be even more expensive than regular hardcovers

As much as I wish I could appreciate the production of Marvel Omnibus publications, the price given here is very expensive:
Two years ago, David Gabriel, a senior vice president at Marvel Comics, publisher of Spider-Man and the X-Men, was sitting in the company’s Fifth Avenue offices with a few colleagues trying to come up with a product tie-in for the Fantastic Four film to be released that summer - “something to get the extreme collector excited,” he said.

The result was “The Fantastic Four Omnibus, Volume 1,” which would seem to be the opposite of a disposable comic book costing a few dollars or less. The oversize coffee table-style 848-page book reprinted the first 30 issues of the original Fantastic Four, the comic created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in 1961. The book, which weighs 5.4 pounds, would retail for $99.99.
There may have been people who bought it, but for me, the price is scary. I'd learned a couple years ago that the difference between paperbacks and hardcovers is that the former usually just costs up to $30, which is okay for me, while the latter can be more than $50, which is quite a lot, more than I can gather up the courage to buy. An Omnibus collection's price at $100 is really whopping, and much more than I'll ever be up to getting, sadly.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.