« Home | Mark Millar is hopefully beginning to lose influence » | Well, it was bound to happen » | Spider-Girl's future uncertain » | Yet another exaggeration about how well comics are... » | DC's suffered a really bad past few years » | Big changes are just bummers » | Mark Steyn reviews new book about Jack Kirby » | Manga sales increase in US » | Last month's sales fell 15 percent » | Mark Waid lets me down » 

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 

DC Universe #0: a book that's more like an ad brochure

A writer at Broken Frontier who may be a store manager says that the "special" called DC Universe #0 is a ripoff because it's more like a whole advertisement than a real story. And:
This also happened on Free Comic Book Day (FCBD) week. What this means to me is that DC really just wants our money. It could have easily been a FCBD book. It should have been. Marvel gave us a Hulk & Iron Man magazine that had a FCBD ad on the back including comic book shop locator service. This was free to the public. Our shops strategically placed these at theaters showing Iron Man this weekend. The idea is that we will see those moviegoers on Saturday. It will give us a chance to make a sale, but also introduce them to the wonderful world of comics for free. It would be awesome if I could do that with DC’s big event book, but instead it has a price tag. Sorry, folks, but I run a business and while I would love to give this book away, FCBD is already a big expenditure... in the end I need to recoup some of that cost and fifty cents for this book helps.
And judging from a few other arguments across the blogosphere, such as this one and this one, I think people are finding DC's latest misstep a major disappointment, including the store managers themselves. Trying to lure people in through a book that doesn't have a coherent story like this is not the way to go, and scores only a big zero.

Labels: ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.