« Home | Going on a trip for 3 days » | Manga in the Philippines » | Exhibit on Jewish comics artists in Miami » | AFP tears down on Superman » | What a shame Hollywood is adapting the works of Wa... » | Chuck Dixon out of employment now at DC » | Older issues of BND were tacked onto latest sales ... » | DiDio admits that DC isn't trying to gain new foll... » | I never knew there was a Dick Tracy museum... » | Comic Book Carnival Twenty-One » 

Thursday, June 19, 2008 

Penn. Express-Times fawns over Winick's Titans work

Okay, I'm back, now let's see what we have here. The Pennsylvania Express-Times writes a fluff-coated column about Judd Winick's new take on the Titans, predictably glossing over more than a few holes:
In "Titans No. 3" the team splits up and goes after Trigon's newly discovered other children.
Of course, no questions are asked if this defies logic - as was originally stated in 1984, when the Terror of Trigon first came out, Raven was Trigon's only heir.
Winick is one of only a few DC writers who could succeed in bringing an epic villain like Trigon back from the dead.
Minus any real suspense, as the webmaster of the Titans Tower, one of the best fansite databases for Titans info, has argued.
It also helps that he knows these characters. Most of the cast he has written before.
But not very well, I'm afraid. I'd say Winick knows them about as well as he knows what the far side of Pluto looks like.
The only problem with the writing on the new series is that it relies on the reader to know a good deal of the team's history. New readers are not going to have a clue who Trigon is or why he's trying to kill the Titans.
And from just reading this column, they're not going to have any idea how this new series began, with Starfire swimming naked in Animal Man's garden pool, pointlessly criticizing earthlings for being bothered by nudity, or the lack of any serious action when the Titans are attacked by Trigon's minions.

I suppose it is fortunate though, that Winick and company may have retreated(?) from killing off all the Titans featured in the Titans East Special several months ago. But aside from that, there appears to be little else to recommend this new series, and the Penn. Express-Times certainly isn't citing anything worthwhile.
For long-time Titan fans, this new series is worth picking up, but if you're a new reader, you may want to wait until this first story arc is over.
With the way things are going now in this new series, I don't think it's worth either old or new readers picking up.

Labels: , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.