« Home | Ted Rall gets laid off » | Investors stock up on superhero comics » | Dutchess Community College lecture » | Joe Quesada losing his touch as an artist » | Emerald City Comicon and Stumptown » | Manga led to the drop in thought balloons? » | Warren Ellis knows nothing about GI Joe » | No comics sold above 100,000 in March » | IGN asks the obvious » | Rags Morales comes back to "fix" mistakes » 

Monday, April 27, 2009 

Marvel and Brubaker are self-congratulatory

Marvel's website published an interview with Ed Brubaker (via Robot 6) about his work there, including Captain America, and when it's something written by the company themselves, you know it's not going to be challenging. One of the questions asked and answered was:
Marvel.com: That's a thing I wanted to ask about because when Steve died, the initial reaction was, "When's he going to come back?" But now that Bucky has really taken that role in a big way in the recent arcs, the discussion has become more of "Well, who needs Steve?" Did that surprise you?

Ed Brubaker: Bucky seems to be the Little Engine That Could. Everyone who was completely resistant to the idea of Bucky coming back totally embraced him as a character after about a year. There's probably one or two that didn't, but most people were like, "Wow! They pulled it off. Unbelievable." And then when Bucky became Cap, it was the same thing. "Oh, this is terrible." But now, the book is selling better with Bucky as Cap than it ever did with Steve as Cap. It's funny. I get more comments now from people where at first it was all, "Bring Steve back! Bring Steve back!" but now the comments are "Don't bring Steve back! We like Bucky as Cap." That's kind of funny. People have really come around to him as a character I think. And that was one of my goals: how to make Bucky viable as a character.
Really? Well what about Steve Rogers? If you can make Bucky viable, I'd think the same can be done with Steve too. Because Bucky with a mechanical arm doesn't seem like an idea with much mileage. And as for selling better, I don't think 62,000 copies is something to crow over.

And as for comments saying not to bring back Steve, I'm not one of those. My comment is, bring Steve back, with more satisfying writing that's got a point to it. And don't kill him off in defeat, as was done following Civil War. Whether or not Bucky is characterized okay does not excuse the bad plot used to kill off Steve to begin with. Not these days anyway. I'm quite tired with their pretending Steve couldn't be written well and acting as though only the successor could.

Marvel and Brubaker can pat themselves on the back all they want, but they may not be laughing all the way to the bank for long.

Labels: , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.