« Home | Superman: Earth One will feature urban depiction o... » | Wow, that's sure some way to market Green Lantern ... » | Manga pop opera in Europe » | Comic sales drop 12 percent » | Disney exploits Marvel for promoting Tron's sequel » | 7 of the worst resurrections in comics » | Philippine comics are in decline » | Geoff Johns making the same mistake as Bill Jemas » | JSA's left-wing sucker punch » | Denny O'Neil in Asheville » 

Thursday, October 28, 2010 

Marc Guggenheim only makes me feel more discouraged about Flash movie

The website of Collider transcripted a few paragraphs from a Newsarama video interview with Marc Guggenheim, and he only reiterates some of the earlier info I'd gathered, again signaling that this will only be a variation on a horror thriller:
“We’re being true to the whole Barry Allen science police. We’re being true to those origins and updating them for the 21st century. I feel like in many ways the movie is three movies in one. It’s part thriller — that forensic, cool, Seven, Silence of the Lambs — part superhero movie, and part sports movie because there’s an athleticism to this character that other superheroes don’t have… And you get to see how all three of those elements inform each other and make the whole movie even better. It’s sort of like the way in Green Lantern we took a superhero movie and combined it with a space opera, here we’re combining the superhero movie with these other two genres and it’s just a blast.”
Oh no it's not. If all is going according to what he's laid out, this will not be worth the celluloid it's being filmed upon one bit. Granted, I am aware that Barry Allen played a little basketball a few decades ago, but any horror-movie elements injected here can only ruin that. And where does some of the influence come from besides that?
“We’re drawing I think a lot from a lot of different eras. Certainly Geoff Johns’ work has been an influence. Mark Waid’s run, particularly the stuff he wrote with the philosophy of speed and the philosophy of running has been a big influence. We’ve also tried to take our inspiration from the old Silver Age Barry Allen stories and imbue it with that sense of fun and wonder while still keeping that cool, slightly darker tone.”
So "darker" is cooler, and not brighter? I'm sorry, it does not compute, and if any resulting film they're making comes within even miles of the 2 thrillers Guggenheim mentioned, that's reason enough for me to be frightened away.

I wonder if the Green Lantern movie, which is already in production, will be anything like Se7en and Silence of the Lambs too? And even if they won't be, the sensationalism surrounding the hype is really maddening and alienating.

But I guess not much else can be expected from the writer who killed off Bart Allen in a very stupid, unimaginative way 3 years ago.

Labels: , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.