« Home | Paolo Rivera leaves Marvel over ownership rights » | Claremont, Nocenti and Simonson's original plan fo... » | Why does the Queen of England consider Grant Morri... » | Denver's Comicon » | Why would a muder mystery qualify as a suitable co... » | Grant Morrison's vanity convention » | Scott Lobdell is going to take over Superman » | WB has not learned their lesson if they hire the s... » | Bizarre tattoo diversity in Green Lantern » | New take on Amethyst doesn't sound as good as the ... » 

Friday, June 22, 2012 

Back in the 80s, writers didn't crowd team books with too many characters

I own the first 2 issues of the old Omega Men series from the mid-1980s written by Roger Slifer, and saw something in the intro he wrote that can tell what's wrong with the approach used by Geoff Johns, if he put too many characters into the JSA, particularly in the latter end of its run:

What stands out for me here is the part where Slifer tells how he promised artist Keith Giffen that not all of the 100 or so Omegas who could appear in the series would have to appear all at once in any given issue. At that time, it was partly because having so many in one issue all at once could make it difficult for the artist to handle. In Johns' case, he'd stuff only so many cast members into a single issue because he seems to think that everyone needs immediate exposition, a problem that also tainted the abortive Green Lantern movie.

To build a good story, whether in a team book or a solo series, it pays not to crowd too many characters into the script, because they can't all be focused on and given introductions all at the same time.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.