« Home | Grant Morrison's vanity convention » | Scott Lobdell is going to take over Superman » | WB has not learned their lesson if they hire the s... » | Bizarre tattoo diversity in Green Lantern » | New take on Amethyst doesn't sound as good as the ... » | Avengers vs. X-Men's 5th issue makes fools of the ... » | Roy Thomas doesn't approve of turning Alan Scott gay » | Marvel and DC's black superheroes' history » | WB is working again on a Justice League movie, but... » | Japanese culture agency building online manga data... » 

Saturday, June 16, 2012 

Why would a muder mystery qualify as a suitable comic for children?

WSPA-TV in Greenville, SC, recently reported about an Alan Moore graphic novel called Neonomicon that was taken off the shelves of a county library for review after its sexually explicit content was discovered when a 14-year old girl checked it out. I wouldn't be surprised if it were on the same level as Lost Girls, another very questionable graphic novel Moore wrote with sexually explicit scenes inside. However, while Neonomicon may not be suitable for children even under 18, there's still something about what the mother of the girl who'd checked it out said that bugs me:
It doesn't take much to get 14 year old Jennifer Gaske hooked on a new book. "Just as long as it has something good in it," says the rising 8th grader. Gaske and her mother, Carrie, frequently go to the Anderson Road branch of the Greenville County library system to check out books. Recently, the teen found the book, "Neonomicon", in the library's adult section and thought it would be a real page turner. Kids above the age of 13 can check out books in the adult section, if they have their parents' permission. "It looked like a murder mystery comic book to me," recalls Carrie Gaske. "It looked like a child's book. I flipped through it, and thought it was ok for her to check out."

After a few chapters, though, Gaske got a shock. "It was good at first," says Jennifer. "Then it got nasty." Her mother says, "She came into my living room and asked me what a certain word meant and I said honey where did you hear that word? I said that's a nasty word we don't use that in the house."

Inside the book, Gaske found graphic sexual content and pictures of nude men and women engaging in sexual activity. Seven on Your Side cannot show much of that content because it is so explicit. "The more into I got the more shocked I was, I really had no idea this type of material was allowed at a public library," says Carrie Gaske. "I feel that has the same content of Hustler or Playboy or things like that," she says. "Maybe even worse."
Okay, I can understand if the parent has a problem with the sexual content and it does sound disturbing. But why would a murder mystery qualify as a perfect children's book? Do the two mediums/genres really go together? I used to watch Murder, She Wrote with Angela Lansbury on TV years ago, but while most of the violence and other iffy content there was usually very indirect and off-screen, one of the reasons why it was broadcast at 8PM in the evenings on CBS, do I think of that as truly child-friendly material? Hardly.

Parents certainly should be careful about what content a graphic novel for adults contains before allowing their children to read it, but it shouldn't just be because of sexual content. Even violent content has to matter, including what comes inside a murder mystery, which I don't think counts as a child-friendly genre.

Labels: , ,

I found (non-shrink-wrapped) copies of The Walking Dead TPBs shoved in the kids' section of the local Wal-Mart here in South Carolina.

I moved them to the top shelf on a more adult shelf and had a brief conversation with the manager about what would happen if one of his more devout evangelical customers found their small children reading them.

They'd been moved back to the kids' section the next time I was there. Sigh. You can't fix stupid sometimes...

Hell, I think some of this stuff ain't even appropriate for adults.

@.. Thunderbird... Yeah you're right.. Gaming PC

Here's another incident:
http://notalwaysworking.com/really-gets-the-kids-true-blood-pumping/35492

Well said thunderbird but for pc sleeved cables

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.