« Home | X-Force: It's not about the consequences, it's abo... » | Alan Moore, still deluded as ever about Occupy mov... » | It sounds like new Valiant's going to write a comp... » | Mark Waid is still making himself look foolish » | Jack Kirby's granddaughter joins Hero Initiative » | Larry Tye's new Superman history book » | Joe Kubert dead at 85 » | Satire and parody are not a defense for attacking ... » | Matt Fraction is writing the Fantastic Four » | Is Ben Affleck really qualified to direct a Justic... » 

Sunday, August 19, 2012 

So why did James Robinson decide to quit the He-Man miniseries?

The news may have originally come out a few weeks ago, that Robinson wrote only one issue of DC's new Masters of the Universe miniseries. Keith Giffen, who took over the second issue, told Newsarama:
I know fans are going to say, "what happened to Robinson?" And they're going to be surprised I didn't ask for details, but I honestly don't want to know. The only thing I asked was, "is the assignment open?" In other words, am I stepping into an assignment someone else is already working on? Because I won't do that. But apparently the book was open.
We'll probably never know what happened, but one potential guess is that Robinson decided the project wasn't his style, and quit. Larry Hama once gave an interview where he said that back at the time he first wrote the GI Joe series for Marvel in 1982, a lot of prominent comics writers were reluctant to take up assignments based on licensed merchandise like toys, possibly because for them, the idea was too juvenile. Maybe that's why Robinson abandoned the MOTU mini after just one issue, but if he really concluded it was too childish for his career, he shouldn't have bothered in the first place. It's rather funny if he does think this, because already, juvenile is pretty much where his writing skills have descended to. There may be ongoing series where a prominent writer jumps ship in a hurry, but it's not often I hear of a miniseries where they abandon it on such short notice. All I know is that thanks to that, this miniseries may now stand less of a chance than before.

Robinson could probably be likened to his fellow UK native Chris Claremont, as a has-been who was once prominent but whose talents later unraveled, with one difference being that Robinson's may have deteriorated a little faster than Claremont's did, and he got into the career much later than Claremont too, at a time when sales figures were plummeting to much lower numbers than they were in the Bronze Age.

Labels: , ,

I wouldn't be surprised if Mattel wouldn't let him make it as dark as he wanted. I think back to Wildstorm's Thundercats: The Return and what they did to characters (especially Cheetara) and remember that this is the guy behind Cry For (in)Justice. I'm just happy he's off one of my childhood favorites.

(Which should at least be kid-friendly/all-ages so that fans can show their kids what they grew up with.)

Seeing that Giffen has written some of the few New 52 books worth reading I'm quite satisfied with the results, whatever the cause.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.