« Home | Conway sells out on Marvel creations, and only bla... » | How can a fictional character truly think anything... » | I just don't see why Bendis is worried about Angou... » | DC only gained mockery from those they sought to a... » | A Campbell illustration where Mary Jane is beside ... » | Neal Adams caves to dhimmitude and liberal guilt m... » | Joss Whedon's quitting his work with Marvel movies » | Darick Robertson doesn't think art is democratic » | A Malaysian commentator isn't impressed with Marve... » | George R.R Martin remains frozen in the 1960s » 

Sunday, January 10, 2016 

A Titans TV show wouldn't work well with Akiva Goldsman on board

The TNT network turned down a sci-fi drama based on the Teen Titans. While some might think it's because of how hard it would be to find an actress tall enough to play Starfire, who's 6'4 in the official character profilings, much like Tom Selleck (whose most notable TV role, Magnum PI, began around the same time as NTT was launched in late 1980), there's surely an even more legitimate reason to worry if the project had been greenlighted. In this interview with network executive Kevin Reilly:
How much of the decision not to move forward with the DC Comics project Titans, also from Warner Bros., was based on the fact that you don’t own it?

It wasn't. Akiva [Goldsman] is a talented guy, [but] the script just wasn't there. There is an unbelievable glut of superhero things in the market right now and if you have a really good one, clearly people are up for it. But I just don't think that there's a need for one that, for me, at least on paper didn't seem to be screaming to get made.
Oh, some talent he's got alright. Many comic and movie buffs alike would surely attest that he was one of the clowns who brought down the original Batman series with the 3rd and 4th movies with its garish, overblown storytelling. Why else does Reilly think there wasn't any script? Because Goldsman doesn't have what it takes to make one. I really wish they wouldn't sugarcoat his record.

And that's why most people familiar with those duds wouldn't be disappointed the Titans TV project hasn't gotten off the ground at TNT. Bad screenwriters don't bolster confidence the producers knew what they're doing.

Labels: , , ,

While I don't disagree about Goldsman -- he also handled the 1998 Lost In Space movie, I think, and, as a major LIS fan, I had my share of issues with the film -- I'll gladly take his efforts over the other major Titan media out there: Teen Titans GO and its Family Guy-esque sociopathy. Can't we do better than that? At least the New Teen Titans shorts on DC Nation had real promise and didn't intentionally alienate certain audiences.

(And the subject is depressing enough, as the 2003 animated series ended or was canceled around this time, 10 years ago.)

However, Reilly is on a tear -- he's also ending Rizzoli and Isles and quite a few other programs -- and a superhero series wouldn't fit his vision of the network, anyway, regardless of Goldsman. Not when his big priority is to revive "Tales From the Crypt", of all things.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.