« Home | What social media users think of Black Adam movie » | What creators are attending a festival in Arizona » | What's really distasteful about Marvel's project w... » | New documentary produced about the history of Love... » | Larry Hama's GI Joe run ends after 4 decades, and ... » | Dealers making big speculator sums at NYCC » | Tom Taylor's Son of Kal-El series is ending » | More discussions of Sabra in the media » | Warner Brothers turns Scooby Doo cast member Velma... » | DC/Marvel making use of Webtoon » 

Friday, October 14, 2022 

People who either loathe or love GNs

The writer Ann Althouse pointed to two examples quoted from the New York Times of individuals who either like or hate graphic novels. From the first:
“It is too difficult for me to constantly switch back and forth between the pictures and the text bubbles,” says the animal behaviorist and advocate for autistic people, whose new book (with Betsy Lerner) is “Visual Thinking.” “I like technical and scientific books with lots of illustrations.” [...]

Actually, I hate graphic novels. It is too difficult for me to constantly switch back and forth between the pictures and the text bubbles. I like technical and scientific books with lots of illustrations. When I read business books and scientific papers, I often look at the illustrations and graphs first. The next step is to read the text. When I am reading a novel or a memoir, I prefer to create my own pictures in my imagination. As I read the text, my brain creates a movie.
And from the second:
I don’t really read novels. I read a lot of essays and other things, though. I read an enormous amount of manga. Fujiko Fujio often write stories about a character succeeding in life. I loved this kind of manga when I was a small child. The character would move to Tokyo, rent out a tiny apartment, study super hard and succeed. He writes those kinds of success stories. I love them. I still read anything by Osamu Tezuka. He writes many different manga, so I read them all.... I also read Fujio Akatsuka. He is a super famous manga artist....
From the way this is presented, one could wonder if this makes it look more like somebody doesn't like western-style comics, but is fine with Asian-style, even if 2 different people are in focus. In any event, I honestly can't find much to be impressed about in stuff that's coming from such a terrible newspaper that doesn't really respect the art form, any more than most other liberal papers.

Labels: , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.