« Home | Tom Brevoort downplays the industry's collapse » | A list of the 7 greatest Aquaman runs contains at ... » | Mary Jane Watson is still a crucial part of Spider... » | Marvel appears to be doing away with Johnny Blaze ... » | Director Zack Snyder makes clear he's not worth su... » | Aquaman movie sequel looks like it'll fare far les... » | Disney's Wish cartoon insults monotheism » | Nightcrawler and Mystique's background changed for... » | Hollywood forgot its own lessons on masculinity, e... » | An SJW who doesn't want superheroines to be attrac... » 

Wednesday, December 06, 2023 

Thor movie director admits he knew hardly anything about the comics

According to the Daily Caller, movie director Taika Waititi has admitted he wasn't very familiar with Thor comics in his youth, despite overseeing the cinematic adaptations of the Norse thunder god:
Writer-director Taika Waititi gave away the game in an interview with Variety Magazine published at the end of November. While his arthouse hit “Jojo Rabbit” took home an Oscar, Waititi is perhaps best known as the director of two films in the “Thor” franchise.

But, as he explained to Variety, his desire to work on the film didn’t come from his love of the comic books.

“You know what? I had no interest in doing one of those films,” Waititi said. “It wasn’t on my plan for my career as an auteur. But I was poor and I’d just had a second child, and I thought, ‘You know what, this would be a great opportunity to feed these children.’”

“And ‘Thor,’ let’s face it — it was probably the least popular franchise,” he continued. “I never read ‘Thor’ comics as a kid. That was the comic I’d pick up and be like ‘Ugh.’ And then I did some research on it, and I read one ‘Thor’ comic or 18 pages, or however long they are. I was still baffled by this character.”

When asked why Marvel executives brought him on given his unfamiliarity, Waititi answered: “I think there was no place left for them to go with that. I thought, ‘Well, they’ve called me in, this is really the bottom of the barrel.’”

The utter indifference toward the source material — from both the director and executives — would be shocking if it wasn’t so commonplace. But an at-best-B-lister like Waititi likely only felt comfortable speaking in such blunt terms because all of Hollywood royalty seems to feel the same way.

Indie star Oscar Isaac swore to Vanity Fair that the Star Wars franchise could only get him back if “I need another house or something.”

Hollywood icon Glenn Close admitted to joining the Marvel Universe “because it will then afford me to go do the other kind of movies that I really love.”
This particularly baffles me. Close is a veteran, has appeared in plenty of movies for nearly 4 decades, and she's having a hard time finding work and getting paid? Or retaining riches? I just don't get it. As for Isaac, isn't he the leftist ideologue who appeared in the Moon Knight adaptation? In that case, we're not missing anything as far as the now waterlogged SW franchise is concerned. As for Waititi, I think it's good he cares about his family. But even so, that doesn't make his Marvel entries any better, and it's head-shaking how somebody can care so little about these creations just because it isn't Spider-Man in focus. What kind of comics did Waititi read anyway? Was it the pre-2000 series, which is far better, or was it any of the stuff coming after the early 2000s, which is awful? That's not clear here. But what's additionally fascinating in this article is what they say about The Marvels:
The latest intersectional feminist Marvel abomination (in theatres now) is virtually identical to the critically acclaimed films that dominate awards season. They both preach shallow progressive values with perceived transgression as the only guiding light, and in the end, sacrifice all substance on the altar of politics.
It wouldn't be shocking if the Oscar academy wanted to supply a busload of awards to such a dreadful movie, no matter how badly it tanked. But this is surely telling something that won't reflect well on the Marvel movies in hindsight. The studio management in charge never cared for the properties any more than Joe Quesada, Bill Jemas and Axel Alonso ever did. So, it's clear the Marvel movies won't age well in the future.

Labels: , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.