« Home | Why did Disney want to go after Elaine Lee and Mic... » | Comics Buyer's Guide is fine with Alan Scott being... » | Mercenary Arcade becomes more vicious in Avengers ... » | Thank heavens if this crossover story is never rep... » | Gail Simone was ejected from helming Batgirl series » | Diane Nelson was responsible for rebooting DC's co... » | The Simpsons is long past cancellation time » | Boston Phoenix interviews Sean Howe about his Marv... » | Jonathan Hickman's take on Avengers still depends ... » | Karen Berger resigns from editing Vertigo line » 

Friday, December 14, 2012 

Captain Carrot corrupted

Roy Thomas and Scott Shaw's early 80s creation of Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew, one of the few "funny animal" books DC published at the time, has been reintroduced by Keith Giffen into the New 52 in a series called Threshold, or should I say, reinvented, because unfortunately, their only idea of how to handle what began as a children's adventure is now a pretty adult rendition:
Giffen confirmed to Comic Book Resources that Captain K’Rot is indeed his take on Captain Carrot. Asked whether he was a longtime fan of the original series, Giffen quipped, “There was a series?” Ever the joker. He quickly added, “Every book needs a borderline psychotic, booze swilling, whore-mongering rabbit. I mean, c’mon!”
Sounds just as bad as Geoff Johns' story-within-a-story from Teen Titans in 2006, where the Zoo Crew made an appearance in what was apparently supposed be Identity Crisis with an animal-based cast, and was just as repellant. The name now given to the bunny businessman is insulting too, because it actually sums up what they're doing to him now: rotting him into disaster.

I don't think Thomas has said anything about this, probably because he's already let down enough by DC as it is, but Scott Shaw had something to say:
As long as it’s not really Captain Carrot, I don’t care. If anything, I’m kinda amused by their rather lame attempt to fit an ‘edgy’ funny animal into the ‘New 52′ universe. Somehow, it reminds me of Warner Bros. Animation’s terrible LOONATICS UNLEASHED SatAM cartoon series. Where’s Ch’p, Thunderbunny, Jaxxon, Bucky O’Hare, Rocket Raccoon and Howard the Duck when we need ‘em?
The last time Steve Gerber's duck turned up was in a Marvel MAX book I'm sure would be best forgotten. Bucky O'Hare is lucky so far not to fall victim to this adult-ing of former kids products. But I think this looks to be a telling decline for Giffen's talents. He was an artist/writer I'd respected years ago, but now he too looks like another contributor to comicdom who's stumbled.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.