« Home | Superman's Doomsday is still intact » | Why can't the X-Women have a title with that exact... » | The comics industry won't talk about itself » | Nick Spencer pans DC's treatment of freelancers » | Ron Marz sounds more concerned about legal gun sal... » | What the shafting of Betty Banner led to » | Ocean Master floods out Gotham » | DC working on a "dark universe" movie » | Comics Buyer's Guide goes the way of Wizard » | David Goyer says it's more challenging to write Su... » 

Saturday, January 19, 2013 

Kieron Gillen's sugary presentation of "Young Avengers"

The UK Guardian spoke with the British comics writer Kieron Gillen, who said at least 2 things, one silly and other politically correct gushing. First, what he says about Batman as compared to Iron Man:
"I think Tony Stark is one of the great comic characters because he is incredibly problematic. Bruce Wayne pretends to be a playboy, but he doesn't actually sleep with all those supermodel girlfriends. Tony does. That's a fundamental difference. [...]"
I'm sure Bruce slept with Catwoman back in the late 1970s, so I'm not sure that claim holds water. Just because sex in mainstream comics of yore was usually only indirectly implied doesn't mean Bruce didn't have his moments, and I think it's silly of Gillen to make it sound as though Bruce has always been a cypher and no writer has or could possibly pull it off well.

Next, what he says about Young Avengers:
Its heroes aren't government agents, they're just kids with powers who live in the same world as Captain America, trying to live up to the ideal of being an Avenger.
Is that supposed to be a subtle message that working for the government in itself is wrong? Point: many of the other members of the Avengers, save for Cap, aren't government agents either, so I don't see what the issue is here. Then, he says about 2 members of the Young team:
"The main characters are Wiccan and Hulkling, a young gay couple who have inspired a lot of love and a lot of NSFW Tumblr art. [...]"
This is where he's pushing - and sensationalizing - the long cliched politically correct belief that there must be gay/lesbian cast members in almost every team (and solo) book at all costs no matter what, always in only the most positive of lights, and that this is what everybody really needs to hear about. I suppose if one or both were Bulgarian chefs specializing in Bulgarian cheese products and citing famous proverbs in the native languages of eastern Europe that wouldn't be news, right?

This is all par for the course balderdash at the Guardian, so it only confirms why they're such an obsolete paper, and they certainly would be if they worked in the USA.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Yuck. I always knew there was a good reason why I avoided the Young Avengers.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.