« Home | Latest Avengers story by Hickman sounds similar to... » | NYT fawns over Scott Snyder » | 50 years of Avengers, and it's sad Marvel's ruinin... » | Scott Lobdell admits he sexually harrassed a femal... » | Steven Wacker moves to animation » | Mutants who were poorly crafted » | The 10 truths mainstream comics avoid about Islam » | Why do supervillains "deserve" their own movies? » | No, DC did not back away from Identity Crisis » | The drawing software of Bitstrips » 

Thursday, December 26, 2013 

IDW and Hasbro's successful partnership

Newsarama has an article about the partnership between IDW and the Hasbro toy company, the former which publishes a couple series based on the latter's toy lines, and the most impressive part is what one of their editors, John Barber, says:
...it’s that ardent fandom that Barber says makes comics, and particularly IDW’s Hasbro titles, so successful.

I love that there are people who care about these characters. They care when we’re doing things wrong, they care when we’re doing things right, and I love that lots and lots of people will disagree about which things are wrong and which are right,” Barber says. “I mean, that’s the fun of being a fan—and particularly of working on a brand like Transformers, where this character can, in a short amount of time, appear across multiple mediums.”
That's a lot more honest than what we hear Marvel and DC's editors saying today. No wonder they're a lot more successful critically than the big two are today, and became 4th biggest comics publisher. I wonder if it's possible that one day, they could buy ownership of Marvel and DC's comics properties and then set about to righting all the wrongs that resulted from years of bad caretaking? If they or another reliable source could do that, then the industry would have a chance of regaining some more respect.

Labels: ,

Yeah. IDW is apparently awesome. They make MLP:FiM comics. I made a fic where Captain America goes to an interview for them as Steve Rodgers (it's an often overlooked fact that Steve was an artist) because he's a closet brony right before a big catastrophe sends him, The Avengers, and The Justice League of America from a neighboring DC Universe to Equestria to stop Thanos from acquiring several infinity gems and the elements of harmony, the latter which, Darkseid wants because the elements are multiversal like the gems (I'm ignoring the ret-con that said they only work in the universe they're from) and would thusly be more useful than the anti-life equation.

I've had my problems with how IDW writes the Transformers but most of it is personal taste and preference rather than saying it's horrible. (Well, in most cases.) I still wish they'd take a less dark direction but that's asking a lot from today's comics.

Their TMNT and GI Joe titles are decent. Never read their take on Doctor Who or Transformers, though.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.