« Home | New book about minor characters » | Only one male Avenger will be white in the post-Se... » | Waid posts an apologia quote by Gillen » | UK Telegraph joins the anti-white superhero bandwagon » | Even as Marvel pushes diversity in comics, they op... » | It looks like Miles Morales is replacing Peter Parker » | Should a movie starring Gambit be made when there'... » | What comics creators are saying about the racist s... » | Salon demonizes comic buffs while preaching PC div... » | DiDio's ambiguous dislike for Dick Grayson » 

Saturday, June 27, 2015 

University notions of diversity invade mainstream

Hube wrote a topic on The College Fix about Marvel's huge lurch into PC diversity - and only their idea of what diversity should be - with books like Spider-Man and the Avengers, and points to Brian Bendis' claim that when he grew up, children of different skin color were being told they couldn't play as Superman and Batman, but could play as Spidey simply because he wears a full mask. I myself was skeptical of Bendis' claim, which, like various other statements writers are making these days, sounds contrived for self-justification.

And how is it that white readers can get into characters of black/Latino/Asian background, but according to Bendis, not the other way around? Some of the comics I most enjoyed reading in past years had black and Asian stars, including the original Power Man and Iron Fist series, where Luke Cage teamed with Danny Rand in 1977-86, with Misty Knight and Colleen Wing as co-stars. I also own a good deal of New Teen Titans, where Cyborg/Vic Stone was a prominent co-star for many years, a paperback copy of the first 10 issues of Tomb of Dracula, featuring the debut of Blade, some X-Men Masterworks paperbacks featuring Storm, a couple back issues of Iron Man with Jim Rhodes, a few Suicide Squad issues with appearances by Vixen, and several issues of Marvel Comics Presents anthology from the late 80s, featuring a story with Black Panther called Panther's Quest, illustrated by Gene Colan. I've also got a sizable Avengers collection, with some of the 80s issues featuring the 2nd Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau (later named Photon). And, I have a big appreciation for the creation of co-stars like Robbie Robertson and Glory Grant in Spider-Man. I'd also love to see Master of Kung Fu get collected in trades today, but because the Sax Rohmer estate may still maintain rights to some of the characters seen in the original series, and Marvel makes no attempt to deal with them, that's why it's bound to take years before we see MOKF in archives.

And if I, as a white man, can dig tales with heroes and co-stars of different racial background, how is it, in Bendis' view, that people of different racial background can't enjoy white cast members? I don't buy a word he's saying. IMHO, all Bendis has done is put words in the mouths of the communities he claims to be representing, and he's insulting their intellect by acting like scriptwriting merits have no importance whatsoever to them.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

So how good were Bendis' stories before he was hired by Marvel again?

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.