« Home | Cebulski didn't have to apologize » | Heidi MacDonald's signaled her disrespect for fand... » | Zelda mangas get a special edition TPB » | Archie isn't suited nowadays to adapt Dick Tracy » | Matt Hawkins is ashamed he marketed to a boy's aud... » | It looks like Aubrey Sitterson's finally been fire... » | Max Bemis: another "progressive" comics writer ant... » | Gerard Jones will face his trial next March » | These 4 creators are grateful to the disgraced Sco... » | CBR has officially become tabloid trash disguised ... » 

Thursday, December 21, 2017 

Tom Brevoort drove Jim Starlin away from Marvel

I don't think Starlin's assignment writing more Thanos stories came at an auspicuous time, coming in the Quesada/Alonso period as it did, but all the same, it's sad to hear that Tom Brevoort performed yet another bad deed, as Starlin himself relayed in one of the comments to this post on his Facebook page (via Cosmic Book News), where he told everybody:
Just to set the record straight, Marvel Comics didn't pull me off any books, they just made it clear they weren't interested in using me on any of the tie-in series to the movies or regular series. Even though I lobbied heavily to write the Thanos on-going that task was twice given to other writers, which is Marvel Editorial's right to do.

What I objected to and what will be keep me from doing any further work for Marvel Editorial was Tom Brevoort approving a plot for the current on-going series, which was pretty much the same as the Thanos story arc in the graphic novel trilogy Alan Davis and I have been working on for Tom for close to the past year. He had 200 pages of script and 100 pages of pencils on this project when he gave the green light to a strikingly similar plot. The on-going will be in print before the graphic novel trilogy. To avoid spoiling anyone's enjoyment of these two stories I will not be summarizing the striking similarities.

At first Tom denied giving his approval to the plot. When that turned out to be false, he switched to claiming there was nothing similar about the two plots. When that didn’t fly he changed his story to it was all an accident. These changes of excuse and other bits of procrastination ate up a month, by which time the current Thanos on-going art team was too far along for anything to be done about the situation. Too bad for me. So I am moving on.

And, yes, Marvel Entertainment has treated me very well and generously. Them I like.
It's clear that, just like Joe Quesada must go, so too must Brevoort go. The argument could be made so far that it's uncertain if C.B. Cebulski can or will make improvements for Starlin that would convince him to come back, and besides, we don't know so far if Cebulski's willing to make specific changes to bad directions Quesada first implemented when he was EIC. Within several months, however, we'll definitely be able to make a better assessment.

I wouldn't advise Starlin to move to DC, however, depending on how their own operations are being done, and besides, if Dan DiDio's still there, he's still another phony who's got to go, and there's still some bad directions they're taking as well that I'd like to see being fixed.

Labels: , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.