« Home | Mouldy old comic found in UK attic worth "hundreds" » | Indie computer game being adapted to comics » | Recent Batman issue accused of using AI for illust... » | New Red Sonja movie will predictably be woke-infested » | Bollywood actor gifts fan with comic based on film » | The kind of people who're invited to events at Kan... » | Marvel studios fires woke writer from X-Men 97 » | Arizona writer celebrates figures who helped shape... » | Writers who worked for Marvel/DC get GI Joe assign... » | Canadian university builds comics collection solel... » 

Sunday, March 17, 2024 

Actor Nicholas Cage dislikes talking about comics movies

Uproxx says the veteran actor Nicholas Cage isn't fond of comics movies or the overall subject, even though he'd appeared in 2 or 3 adaptations himself:
Nicolas Cage did not seem to enjoy a question about his comic book collection. While promoting his new movie Arcadian at SXSW, Cage participated in a Q&A where he got a little testy when asked if he’d ever return to the realm of comic book films after previously starring in Ghost Rider and Kick-Ass.

“Would I return to the comic book genre? I guess never say never, right?” Cage said before venting his frustration with the topic. “But, you know, much has been made about that. My comic book collection just goes viral so quickly and exponentially and I feel like it’s in some ways eclipsed by what I’m really reading. You know, like The Overcoat or Herman Hesse. It’s like I’m still stuck in 12 years old with the NyQuil and the lemon cookies reading The Incredible Hulk #72. I mean, c’mon, I’ve grown up.”
Funny thing about these arguments, however, is that the Hollywooders who make them never seem to raise a meaty discussion about any of the challenging issues past storytelling was able to tell, like the time Stan Lee tackled the subject of drug addiction in Spider-Man back in 1971, or even topics like racism and sexism. So what's the use of saying you've "grown up" if and when comicdom's doing the same over past decades is not acknowledged?
More recently, the actor had a very brief cameo in The Flash where his version of Superman was finally brought to life, but he has openly spoken out about the overly-CGI’d final product.

“When I went to the picture, it was me fighting a giant spider. I did not do that. That was not what I did,” Cage told Yahoo! back in November. “I literally went to shoot a scene for maybe an hour in the suit, looking at the destruction of a universe and trying to convey the feelings of loss and sadness and terror in my eyes. That’s all I did.”
He may be dismayed with the end result, but why did he even bother to associate with that now notorious insult in the first place, despite all the trouble its star, Ezra Miller, caused? Not only was the story based foremost on one of Geoff Johns' worst PC retcons, it also built on what's become a sad staple of modern entertainment - darkness.

If Cage wants to move on from comics-based movies, however, that's okay, because they have been run into the ground of late, and Hollywood put way too much effort into science-fiction than into more down-to-earth dramas. Even live action movies based on cartoons and video games have made the industry a joke. It'd be a whole lot better if we could see more movies not based on those anymore, because it's gotten very absurd, and made Hollywood look more silly than need be.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.