« Home | Bollywood actor gifts fan with comic based on film » | The kind of people who're invited to events at Kan... » | Marvel studios fires woke writer from X-Men 97 » | Arizona writer celebrates figures who helped shape... » | Writers who worked for Marvel/DC get GI Joe assign... » | Canadian university builds comics collection solel... » | Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama passes away at 68 » | Chinese-American artist tells her family history i... » | Actor from Captain America movies addresses superh... » | More about the history of the 1986 Transformers ca... » 

Thursday, March 14, 2024 

New Red Sonja movie will predictably be woke-infested

Collider announced that a new live action movie based on Red Sonja will unshockingly go the PC route, and be less about a male-gaze viewpoint:
It was a great experience. The prep and stunt rehearsals and horseback riding, [were all] things that I hadn't done before, so the whole process of prepping was amazing. Working with MJ as a director was incredible. And what I think is different from what we know of Red Sonja is that it was very, and the comics as well, was very male gaze-oriented and this is a completely different story. It's a very empowered woman, and that's what I loved about the story. I don't know yet when it's coming out, but I'm very excited to see it. I haven't seen anything yet.
Well I'm just simply not interested in a movie that, despite what's told, will still be "darker" in its tone. So I'm not sure what they're driving at here, since the original comics had a dark enough tone as it is. The original premise in the Bronze Age was that Sonja was a victim of a gang rape, and the goddess Scatach granted her considerable fighting skills, and asked her only to sleep with men who'd defeated her in fair combat. The filmmakers are unshockingly slapping Roy Thomnas, Barry Windsor-Smith, Doug Moench and Howard Chaykin in the face after all the effort they made in their time to set up the original tales. Why does the actress have an issue with the male gaze, but not with any direction that could be considered dark? That's decidedly the most muddled part of these woke ideologues' arguments.

The new movie project had been through delays over the past several years, and as far as I'm concerned, it did not need to be greenlighted at all. If anything, it could do better in animation, but Hollywood's long proven hilariously incompetent with that kind of approach to marketing and art. And all the talk of "empowerment" is old news that fails to take merit into consideration.

Labels: , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.