« Home | J. Michael Straczynski sadly returns to write a Sp... » | Reading comics on tablets like the iPad » | New GN addresses housing issues » | Marvel still employs a most unsuitable and reprehe... » | Nottingham's first InkBlot festival » | University of Wyoming sets up exhibit of Stan Lee'... » | 23rd East Coast Black Age convention » | Former X-Men 97 producer confirms he deliberately ... » | A planned Marvel TV show based on a Dan Slott crea... » | Jerry Seinfeld regrets late 2000s animated movie b... » 

Monday, May 27, 2024 

Producer of woke "My Adventures With Superman" cartoon writes an adaptation for comics that follows the same pattern

Newsarama interviewed Josie Campbell, one of the writers/producers of the very PC-influenced My Adventures With Superman cartoon, who's now writing a tie-in comic, which, if I hadn't noted it before, shows they sure know how to make Lois Lane look as ugly as the artwork itself:
It put my roommate on a massive Superman kick, which I love because I love Superman. And I think it's obvious from the show and the comic that you do too.

Superman is my number one. My first two comics were Superman and Wonder Woman. It was during the Death of Superman arc, so I really came into it hot, and I was like "Oh man, I love Superman!" I love all the 'Reign of the Supermen' characters too. I was just totally enthralled from day one.
Gee, anybody who's going to "fall in love" with the Man of Steel's title based on something so overrated is not doing much to convince. Yet it's not surprising somebody who produced a cartoon where Lois Lane is an almost masculine-looking tomboy, and Jimmy Olsen appears to be race-swapped, would be the one to claim Supes is her numero uno favorite. Far as I'm concerned, Campbell's just somebody raised under a PC mindset who decides to latch themselves onto specific creations and proceed to force their PC viewpoints onto said creations regardless of what the original creators would think, and worst, take advantage of the unfortunate likelihood the creators would remain silent, since the Golden Age was an era where it was believed you shouldn't speak poorly of the places you're worked or worked for, nor how they handle what was originally Siegel/Shuster's creations. What's galling about My Adventures With Superman is that the character design choices are so deliberate, and the way Campbell boasts about her alleged fandom is laughable. If she and her staff won't draw Lois with long hair, that's telling something, ditto if they won't draw her with a big chest.
We're talking about the My Adventures with Superman comic today, so I want to ask you, how did the idea to do the comic bridging the gap between seasons one and two come about? How did the whole thing get started?

We had finished season one. And in the week in between seasons, DC reached out to us, and to me specifically cause I've been writing other things for DC, and said that they wanted to do a comic tying into the series, because everybody over on the publishing side are also big fans.
If they think the character designs for Lois and race-swapping Jimmy is inherently acceptable, their "fandom" is as disputable and doubtful as Campbell's is. That they even employ her in some capacity is just as dismaying.
This story deals with a villain who I love. The comic hasn't named him yet, but it's pretty apparent this is an adaptation of one of my favorite underrated Justice League villains, Amazo - he even kinda has the pointed ears. You've adapted a lot of characters already, with more to come. What are the internal guidelines you follow when you're figuring out how you want to take someone from the core DC Universe and bring them into this world?

Yeah, I mean, there's kind of two guidelines. And one is sillier which is just, do I like them? A lot of the characters we feature besides being like, you know, some of them being core Superman characters, a lot of them are just, do we like them? Have I been a longtime fan of them? Like, I love Deathstroke. So, Slade's in the show. We love Task Force X and Amanda Waller, so they're in the show.

And for the comic specifically, looking at it, we wanted to keep the sort of same feel as the show, the same sort of approach to the villains. Because the second, more serious part is, you know, we look at what we feel the core of that villain is. Who is this person? Or who is this creature or thing or robot or whatnot? And what do we best remember them for? And then kind of like fitting them into our universe, where we kind of change them a little bit and modernize them.

The runaway robot at the center of this first issue looks like it escaped from Ivo's lab in episode 4, like it looks like Parasite, it's connected to Ivo. Also on our show, we connected Ivo to Parasite because we thought it'd be really cool to like have this like, techno organic Parasite being created by a Superman villain, but also just like, a horrible DC guy.

That's basically it. Do we like that character? And when we're changing them, do we make sure we still retain the core essence of who that character is? Or deepen the character in some specific way that makes us like them and see a whole new facet to them?
At this point, one can wonder why we're supposed to "like" villains, even honorable ones, even more than heroes. Villain worship's long gotten out of hand, and this is decidedly no exception. But most telling is when Campbell speaks of "modernization", which here means making Lois so unattractive, and again, race-swapping Jimmy as though being white was wrong to begin with.
Well, that's actually a perfect bridge to the next thing I want to talk about. I've had the chance to talk to a lot of Superman writers in recent months including Mark Waid and Jason Aaron, and I'll ask you the same question I've asked them. Obviously, this is a new version of Superman in his own world. What do you see as the core immutable traits of Superman that have to be there, in any version of the character?

For Superman, I think the most integral part of him is this drive to help, that Superman is someone who is crazy strong and powerful in so many ways, and instead of using that power to hurt people, he instantly turns around and uses that power to help people. And that, to me, is the core of Superman.

My favorite Superman media - the Donner movies, the New Adventures of Lois and Clark, the Fleischer cartoons - it's all about a man who has the power to destroy the world, and instead decides to save it. That really is Clark for us.

You know, it clicked for me, and that's the Clark you see in the show. It's why, so often in season one, he's like, "I just want to help people. I just want to reach out a hand and help others."
And this sure is rich coming from people who don't seem interested in helping improve the dire state of the mainstream, as evidenced in their woke approach to characterization. Aaron's even worse than Waid became as a writer, and did not improve the situation with his PC approach to scriptwriting.
I'll also ask you the same question about Lois Lane, because she's such an integral part of this story. What do you see as her most important core characteristics?

For Lois, oh man, I mean, "spitfire" is the word that I think best encapsulates her. Because you know, I love every version of Lois, but I made everybody watch the Fleischer cartoons, because the Fleischer Lois is jumping in the back of mobster's vans, she's climbing inside robots and stuff to get her story. Like, there's an episode where she straight up pick-pockets Clark to take his press badge so she can get a scoop before him.

And to me, that Lois, who is a go-getter, who doesn't quite understand how to pace herself, who doesn't quite understand the meaning of "No," that is first thing that is important to Lois Lane. And it's why I love Lois and Clark together. I feel like Clark's love and compassion butts up against and compliments Lois' need to get out there and get the story and get the scoop.

She's helping people in her own way, but they're really two sides of the same coin.
Every version of Lois, you say? Well not everyone likes the character design used in this cartoon, and that's why maybe what Campbell says could almost describe herself, since she's trying to "help" satisfy the PC crowd.
So I would be remiss if I didn't ask about Supergirl. What can you say about her? Anything at all?

I mean, you saw her in the season two trailer. And I think that's about all I can say!
Even if Kara Zor-El's mane isn't mutilated as Lois' was, something tells me this'll be just as appalling. Here's decidedly another effort by SJWs of the modern era to drastically alter a famous creation solely to suit their narrow leftist agendas, and it's decidedly not something any sane person should tune in to see. The Man of Steel and his co-stars, regrettably, have long since had their potential drained by PC, and neither cartoon nor comic look very appealing. No need to get a cable subscription for the sake of this.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.