« Home | Mark Evanier opposed the Iraq war » | Diversity alone does not a story make » | Kurt Busiek brings forth his liberal bias » | Paste Magazine's JLofA review insults the Tea Party » | Glen Weldon misses the boat » | Jerry Ordway on life over 50 » | IO9 fawns over Geoff Johns' GL work and stoops to ... » | Ron Marz dismisses the Iraq war as worthless again » | Ultron eradicates much of humanity in new crossover » | Orson Scott Card's artist on Superman runs out on him » 

Thursday, March 14, 2013 

DC comes up with their own gay marriage proposal story

DC, clearly intent on following up on Marvel's steps with Northstar a year ago, is publishing a story where the new lesbian Batwoman goes the same route:
In Batwoman #17, available from DC Comics in print and digital versions today, the openly gay heroine Batwoman (aka Katherine “Kate” Kane) proposes to her girlfriend, police detective Maggie Sawyer. While we don’t yet know the answer, if all goes well they’ll presumably be getting hitched, bringing same-sex marriage squarely into the center of a mainstream comic.
Like as if anybody really cares. It didn't do Marvel any favors sales-wise when they tried it, so I don't think there's much chance this'll do any better.

The article also quotes Greg Rucka saying:
“I think comics are catching up with other media like TV and movies, and I think they’re catching up in the way mainstream comics always have: they’re the last to do it,” said Rucka. “Superhero comics are an extraordinarily conservative medium because of the persistent [Fredric] Wertham effect of won’t somebody think of the children? And when I say that it’s a conservative medium, it is paradoxically conservative. It’s not necessarily politically so, but it’s bound by its history.”
Oh come on. Even before the past 2 decades, superhero comics were anything but conservative, and Rucka himself proved that with his own adult contributions. After the 80s ended, that's when they really began to go overboard with liberal positions that were really tasteless, but even before that, I don't think superhero comics could be called conservative in every sense of the word. Today, it's pretty clear they've otherwise abandoned children as an audience in their obsession with only catering to a shrinking crowd of grownups.

Update: now that I realize it, Rucka does specify a certain difference between politics and marketing approaches, although the latter changed a lot after 2000.

Labels: , ,

It's funny because we sell more copies of EVERYTHING else Bat-family. No one wants Bat-Woman in our store.

I think you might be a bit unfair in your last paragraph, Avi. After all, consider what Rucka said:

And when I say that it’s a conservative medium, it is paradoxically conservative. It’s not necessarily politically so, but it’s bound by its history.”

I guess you're right. Although today, the medium's really made a turn to liberalism, in almost every sense.

The closest comic store to us won't even let kids thumb through most comics because of their R-rated nature these days. They moved comics they consider kid-safe to the other side of the store.

Sad that it's come to this.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.